Sunday, January 11, 2009

Arrival

We have arrived in Quito! Our flight to Miami went off without a hitch... Miami to Quito wasn't as smooth, though. Boarding took a long time, then we had to wait on the runway for a while, and the flight was sorta bumpy. My glasses sustained an unfortunate injury at the beginning of the flight. I was cleaning them and tried to push the one lens that has always been too big back into the frame, and the frame broke. Fortunately, Mary's dad made her pack superglue, so I'll try to make use of that tomorrow.

I can't really tell what Quito is like yet, as it was dark when we arrived. Our tour guide said that the city is very long and thin - about 48 miles long and 6 miles at the widest. Quito has is the second highest airport in the world, so we're pretty high up compared to ol' sea level Delaware. The first thing I noticed as we landed was that the lights went up onto hills instead of just sprawling out. I think the altitude may be affecting me. I feel a bit lightheaded and queasy but it might just be the combination of tiredness and some greasy Chinese food I had at the Miami airport.

My roommate Bethany and I are currently waiting on room service tuna sandwiches. We are not sure if they will, in fact, be tuna sandwiches, or how we will pay for them, but we'll figure it out.

Alright they just came and are much fancier than expected. Off to nourishment!

No comments: