Sunday, January 13, 2008

I'm a REAL Blog!

Okay. I will now attempt to write a real update. Hopefully I will catalogue my adventures up to this point so it will be easier to blog later. Let's begin at the beginning (a very good place to start).

Jan 3-4
Our flight to LA was scheduled to leave at around 2:30 pm and our one professor recommended getting there 3 hours before, at 11:30. Dad dropped me off at the airport at promptly 11:30 and I went through check-in and security without a hitch. I've been through airports a million times before, but for some reason I felt really scared doing it on my own. The wait was quite long, especially since people on the trip didn't start showing up at the gate until about 1:30. None of us really knew each other, so we made some introductions and chatted before getting on the plane.
The trip to LA was extremely bumpy. Of all the plane rides I've been on, it was probably the worst. My stomach was turning and I was not looking forward to the 15 hour flight that was to come later. After a 3 hour layover in LA, we went boarded a 767 with Air New Zealand.



In about a surprisingly quick 9.5 hours, we touched down in Rarotonga in the Cook Islands to refuel. Here's a map to give you an idea of where that is:











Whoa. It was about 4:30 in the morning there and we were only allowed to wander around a fenced-in courtyard, so we didn't see much of the island. As we walked into the tiny airport, there was a man playing ukulele and singing. Very charming, but a little loud for being so early. The 1 hour wait was hot and boring, as we were anxious to go and only had access to a few shops, most of them selling alcohol and souvenirs. They took New Zealand currency. I'm not sure whether they have their own money too.

Anyways the flight to Auckland was only about 4.5 hours, during which I crocheted an iPod cozy and slept a bit.

Jan5
Arrived in Auckland around 9 am on Jan 5. It was good to get off the plane, but after traveling for so long, we all felt dirty and exhausted. There were no lines at customs, so we got through quickly. My friend Melody had her boots and water shoes cleaned in the biohazard area, though. After collecting our baggage, we walked out to our tourbus. Chris, our driver, took us on a short driving tour of the city, including a drive up to Mount Eden, a dead volcano. We stopped at a lookout point to take photos. There are around 30 cows on the hill who wander around and cut the grass (someone rounds them up and takes them to a barn at night so they don't become victims of hooliganism).



Here's the crater on Mt. Eden and the city in the background. The tallest building in the center there is the Sky Tower, where we had dinner later that day.





Our hotel rooms weren't ready until 2 pm, so we left our bags and went out to eat. A bunch of us found a kebab place that was playing a Celine Dion DVD on two TV screens. Kebabs are pretty popular here, but they are pita wraps, not grilled stuff on a stick. The girl behind the counter giggled when asked for napkins, so we figured that must mean sanitary napkins here. We later found out that they call them "serviettes" here. A very good thing to know to avoid embarassment.

I just showered (the water pressure was painful!) and relaxed once we got into our hotel room. There was a group dinner later at the Orbit, the restaurant in the Sky Tower. Kinda fancy with a seafood buffet. I tried venison as a little appetizer and found it quite delicious.

Afterwards a few girls and I had a moral crisis about whether or not to go out that night. We didn't want to isolate ourselves, but we were exhausted, so we didn't go. Everything turned out fine and I went to bed at 8:45. Awesome.

It turns out I'm really long winded, so I don't think I'll be able to get up to today right now. A few interesting things to note, before I wrap this up.

One. They drive on the left side of the road here, which is very strange and hard to get used to. For a while I was still looking the wrong way before crossing streets, just instinctively. I couldn't consciously think of which way the cars would be coming, I just turned my head. I think I've gotten pretty used to it at this point.

Two. Crosswalks here make a Pacman/Space Invaders sound when it's time to cross. There's a loud beep to start and little beeps as you walk across. It's kind of exciting and I always feel like I should be eating little dots and running from ghosts. There's a standing red man for stop and a walking green man for go. The lights on one sign moved so it looked like the little guy was walking. Neat.

I've been typing for far too long now, so I'll sign off here. I really like it here in New Zealand, but I miss home too. I guess you've got to leave to miss it.

No comments: