Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Buzz



I really wanted my infinite print to be a component of the unique object, not just something related or a variation on a theme. And in thinking about things that are infinite, I somehow came up with a swarm of bees. I don't know how it happened, but it works. For my object, I'm going to make a plush beehive and hang the printed and cut out bees around it. I'll be able to combine my love of (obsession with?) insects and my desire to make a plush. My thinking keeps going back to making scary things more appealing. First, the creepy crawly pattern, now an adorable swarm of bees and their huggable hive. On an unrelated note, it might be fun to do a whole series of common fears made cuddly. Or at least un-scary.Anyway, I'm thinking it's going to be some sort of installation. Preferably in a tree, but I also want to make it work indoors because the weather has been so strange lately. 

Here are some beemakin' pictures. 
Tried drawing right into Illustrator with a Wacom. The first one is a serious attempt, the next two are sleepy/angry doodles. I was hoping for something between accurate and cutesy. Not much luck. You may remember the fourth bee from my damask pattern. It's just there for reference. After much gritting of teeth, I went back to old-fashioned pencil and paper drawing. and came up with this:

Here's a cuter, fuzzier version.



Live trace on that image didn't work as well as I wanted it to, so I inked it and scanned again.

Isn't he precious? Sorta went for the creepy-cute look of the rat creatures from Bone.
And here it is in LIVING COLOR:
Stay tuned for more on the hive. I learned a ton of really interesting information as a result of looking up photo references.

No comments: